Monday, June 16, 2008

Color palette

Yay to A Practical Wedding for reading my mind on colors:
Whenever someone asks us what our wedding colors are, it always reminds me of that scene from Steel Magnolia's where Julia Roberts says her colors are "Blush and Bashful," And her mother says very flatly in a southern drawl, "Her colors are pink and pink. It looks like the sanctuary was hosed down with pepto bismol"

Right.

So when David suggested getting rid of "wedding colors" I was on board. David pointed out that the whole 'wedding colors' thing feels like sort of a scam. Why do we have to pick two or three wedding colors? So we can buy matchy matchy bridesmaids dresses? So we can buy ribbon and flowers and chair covers that all match? Somehow that just feels like a excuse to sell us things.

A color palette is sensible, since it gives you a visual theme and prevents people from clashing. But colors? I don't know. I'm not that focused a bride, I don't think. I don't really want to control that many elements of the day.

And we are seeing more and more images from weddings where the couple didn't make everything match perfectly, and I think they look just lovely. So we are thinking of just going with jewel tones, and not narrowing it down much beyond that.
Hooray! So I'm not crazy for not wanting to limit us to a few colors. Now the question is... what should our palette be?

1 comment:

ami @ elizabeth anne designs said...

oh gosh there are SO MANY palettes to choose from and every new one you see will make you want to use it. just do lots of research - that's my best advice!